Big Oil is not our friend!
Dependence on petroleum – in the U.S. and worldwide – is a path to economic and environmental ruin.
The Senate last year REJECTED a bill to cut $12 billion in subsidies for producing oil within the United States for Chevron, Shell Oil, BP America, ConocoPhillips, Exxon Mobile. Another $6 billion could be saved from eliminating credits for taxes that the oil companies pay to foreign governments, with the final $2 billion from blocking them from writing off certain drilling and development costs.
BUT, Congress CUT the subsidy for biodiesel at the end of 2011, choosing to cancel the $1.00/gal tax credit for biodiesel – making it virtually impossible to compete with Big Oil.
GET MAD - GET INVOLVED.
Don't let the petroleum industry control our economy, our environment and our future!
Knowledge is Power. Download our Biodiesel Information Sheet. Share it with your friends, your students and your coworkers.
Protecting Our Children From Diesel Fumes
If you could reduce your child's risk for cancer, or lower potential for asthma and other respiratory diseases, wouldn't you do it?
What You Need To Know:
- If rides average 30 minutes in each direction, students will spend 180 hours on buses each year.
- There is no known safe level of exposure to diesel exhaust for children, especially those with respiratory illness.
- Diesel exhaust has been proven to affect adversely children with underlying respiratory illnesses such as asthma, bronchitis, and infections.
- Components of diesel exhaust are genotoxic, mutagenic, and can produce symptoms of allergy, including inflammation and irritation of airways.
- Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley found that children on school buses collectively inhale as much or more exhaust emitted from those buses as does the rest of the city's population.
- Biodiesel fuel is nontoxic and biodegradable.
- Biodiesel fuel can be used in any diesel engine with few or no modifications.
- Biodiesel's benefits include a reduction in particulate matter, carbon monoxide and unburned hydrocarbons.
- Biodiesel emissions also reduce potential cancer causing compounds by 80 to 90 percent.
- Because they work in any diesel engine with few or no modifications, biodiesel blends offer schools a relatively inexpensive option for an immediate solution to air quality concerns.
- Numerous school districts across the country have realized the health and environmental benefits of biodiesel blends and made the switch including the Medford, New Jersey School District; Arlington County, Virginia; and the Deer Valley School District in Phoenix.
What You Can Do:
SCHOOLS AND CITIES LISTEN TO PARENTS AND TAXPAYERS!
Our children are our future - we can make a difference. Bringing clean alternative energy to our school buses and public transportation is our responsibility.
LEARN MORE about how biodiesel can become the clean, affordable alternative fuel for our school buses and other public transportation.
CONTACT OUR STATE AND FEDERAL REPRESENTATIVES and tell them "We want clean biofuels for our children and our cities!" GO TO http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml to find email, mail, Facebook and Twitter account information.
DO IT TODAY FOR OUR CHILDREN'S HEALTH TOMORROW!